Monday, October 6, 2008

Rearranging the front porch

Okay, you know I have said it before~ I keep tweaking/changing/adding~ it's just how I decorate. I ALWAYS mess with a good thing, and sometimes, it makes it better. Of course, sometimes it looks worse, and so I put it back how it was before~but how do you know until you TRY? :)

So, of course, when I was fluffing my front porch and realized it was so cozy, it would be really nice to have a place to sit out there. I thought our wicker chair would look just right.




I could put a cushion on the seat, but don't think I will because it will just become incredibly messy because of our cats. When they play outside, they get SO dirty, and so I opted for a pillow instead.




I moved the little wrought iron "table" by the chair, and took away the larger side table for now. Mr. Scarecrow says hello again, just because I love him so much! A few of you said you liked him, and I forgot to tell you the best part about him is he only cost me four dollars at a garage sale a few years back! He is my favorite autumn decoration to bring out. :) (I know I keep showing you him, but I just can't help myself! )




I added some black and white gingham bows to the leafy garland I already had up. Black looks so good with orange! :)


I am going to plant some mums inside a pumpkin as soon as I can buy some, but after that I MAY be done with the porch. But I'm not promising! :)




I also made some chocolate chip scones, which are a hit around here. This recipe is really simple too, and that is a very important factor! You just mix the dry ingredients, then add the chocolate chips. Stir in the cream with a fork until the dough holds together in a sticky mass. You may need to add a tbsp. or two more of cream until dough holds together.

Scones:
2 cups unbleached flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (depending on taste)
1 and 1/4 to 1 and 1/3 cups whipping cream

Topping:
2-3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons granulated sugar




Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board. Knead dough several times. Then after kneading it, pat it into a 10 inch circle and cut it into 8 wedges. Place on ungreased cookie sheet about 2" apart. Brush scones with melted butter, then sprinkle sugar on the top of scones. Bake at 425 degrees F. for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.




Then simply enjoy! :)

Hopefully everyone had a good Monday! :) Have a great night!


9 comments:

Darlene said...

Your porch looks great with the wicker chair out there.

Those scones look wonderful!!

Shell in your Pocket said...

That scone recipe looks wonderful...I am hosting a lady's get together tonight and may make those! Thanks!
-Sandy Toes

Unknown said...

Your porch looks great! I have never had a scone but I may try these they look good.

Jeni said...

mmm scone's...I just found a recipe for pumpkin ones. If they are good I will post them on my blog. Yours came out really pretty.

Karen said...

I found your blog, listed at Daisy Cottage, and have enjoyed looking at your Halloween decorations -- especially Max. He's adorable in his orange ribbon.

The scones look delicious! Thanks for the recipe;)

Ms. Tee said...

Yum! I love scones and so does my son. :) Love your porch fluffing!

Rachel Berry said...

Okay those scones! YUMMY! I now have a new recipe to add to the pot! Thanks! And your porch looks so fab!

Anonymous said...

Jenni I love the porch - and your scarecrow is a great character to have around.. Can just see myself sitting in the wicker chair, surrounded by cats.
Will try your recipe soon..looks good. Sorry I haven't had a chance to cook and add to recipe challenge - busy weekends too many family birthdays of late.
Beth www.blossomcottage.typepad.com

Rae said...

So yummy! I'll have to try these in place of my lavender scone disaster! :) I LOVE chocolate!