Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A great fall recipe and an award!

Are there certain recipes that you make every year when this season comes around? Well, around here, fall just wouldn't be the same without our family having this acorn squash recipe AT LEAST once! :) Even the kids LOVE it, although I suspect it has more to do with the butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon than the squash itself! :)



You can't really see from the picture how delicious this is, even though I did try to capture that! :) What makes this recipe even better that it's incredibly easy to make! We like to have it with sausage and a green salad, but if you don't eat meat, you can just pretend you didn't hear me say that, okay? :)

Acorn Squash with Applesauce

3-4 small acorn squash, halved
One large container of applesauce
1 stick butter
1 cup or so of cinnamon and sugar mixture
about one cup of brown sugar
nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Fill a large glass baking dish with a couple of inches of water and place halved acorn squash upside down inside of it. Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered.
Remove water from dish, and turn squash upright. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Using about one tablespoon of butter per squash half, brush butter on inside and rims of squash. Put about one rounded tablespoon of brown sugar in each squash, brushing it on the same way as with the butter. Bake for 15 more minutes. Add applesauce to the top of squash, and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture, then add a dash of nutmeg. We like to cook ours for another 5 minutes or so, just so the applesauce is nice and warm. Also, if you see that the squash is not cooked enough after the last 15 minutes, you may need to bake it a bit longer. Enjoy! :)

I also wanted to say thank you to Shell in Your Pocket for this beautiful award! (I just love the colors of it! ) I am really so touched. :)



The rules of this blog award are:
1. List 6 things about yourself and
2. Pass this award on to 6 other bloggers (my favorite part of this!)

I would like to hand this award to:
1. Jeni from At Home In Georgia
2. Darlene from Darlene's Days
3. Ms. Tee from Delightful Home
4. Frills, Fluff and Trucks
5.Rae from My Life On the East Coast
6. The Undomesticated Wife

I love to read your blogs, and am always so inspired by you! :) What would I ever do without all of you great bloggers out there? I think I would be very, very uninspired for sure! :)

The next part is harder to do, but, here goes...

1. I drink too much coffee.
2. I only have one television show I watch, and sadly, I am addicted to it. I love General Hospital!
3.I can't sit still...at least not for very long.
4.Playing the piano is my favorite hobby.
5. Spring is my favorite season, in part because I like new beginnings and I know the sunshine will be around more soon!
6. My husband and I were engaged less than seven months after meeting.

I hope your week is going well! We are over half way through, and the weekend is in sight! :)
Have a wonderful night! :)


13 comments:

Rae said...

Jenni~
You are the sweetest! I LOVE how pretty this award is! First off, ConGRaTuLAtiONs on receiving it; you completely and totally deserve it! Secondly, thank you for passing it on to me! I feel so honored! You have brought sunshine to my day on this rainy Thursday morning!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Yep - my husband and I were engaged 4 months after meeting, but then waited a whole year after til the big day...that seemed REALLY long. :)
I LOVE GOOP!

Shell in your Pocket said...

I was engaged 6 1/2 months after meeting! How fun to learn more about you!
Have a great week!
-Sandy Toes

Darlene said...

Hi Jenni,

Thank you so MUCH for the beautiful award. It is GORGEOUS!! Congrats to you on receiving it too!!

Good golly everyone is going to know every random thing there is to know about me....hehehe. I will be thinking hard to get 6 more facts and will post it soon. Thanks again!

I too drink too much coffee but it has to have my fav. fat free hazelnut creamer in it...YUMMY!!

Unknown said...

Congrats on your award! The recipe looks good I have never had acorn squash before.

Our Complete Family said...

Congrats on your award sweetie! You deserve it! That was fun reading new things about you! It's almost the weekend...we're so close! Yea! Happy day wishes to you~ Les

Our Complete Family said...

Oooh, and the recipe? Sounds delish!!! xo

Amber M. said...

What a yummy lookin' recipe!

And what a beautiful, well-deserved award.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your award! You are a very creative blogger! And the squash looks soooo good. :)

the undomesticated wife said...

Thank you for the award, you are much too sweet!!

xoxo
Gari-Ann

Ms. Tee said...

Thank you for the pretty award - that's very sweet of you and I 'm very honored that you'd think of me. :) Hope you have a great Friday!

cherry said...

Congrats on the award...ya know i made squash like this not to long ago for the very first time. I did not add the applesauce though...Hunter loved it. cherry

Jeni said...

Congrats on the award...I love the way you share recipes and tips and decorating stuff. Thank you for passing this on to me! I love creating! Thank you for always visiting my blog and leaving such nice comments.