Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Two are better than one


I was visiting one of my favorite blogs yesterday, My Life On the East Coast, and Rae was talking about something that really resonated with me. How different we can be (and usually are) from our spouses, but how we are better together... My husband is steady and even-keel; I am well, passionate! He is logical, I am emotional. He is patient and methodical; I don't have the time to be patient! (Hehe!) My husband likes to take one project at a time, whereas I have the tendency to tackle too many projects at once. And yet, it's true, we ARE better together!

It reminds me of something we read on Day 12 of The Love Dare book we are working our way through... "No you won't always see eye to eye. You're not supposed to be carbon copies of each other. If you were, one of you would be unnecessary. Two people who always share the same opinions and perspectives won't have any balance or flavor to enhance the relationship. Rather, your differences are for listening to and learning from." Huh...

What is humorous is that we were reading this the day after we had a rather passionate "discussion" regarding a house project, had resolved to compromise but hadn't figured out what that was yet... The title of Day 12? Uh, Love Lets The Other Win...The day's dare was, as follows, "Demonstrate love by willingly choosing to give in to an area of disagreement between you and your spouse. Tell them you are putting their preference first." We both kind of sat in silence for a moment, then I asked the question we were both thinking, "SO...if it's the same thing, who gives in?"

What is strange is that as much as our personalities differ, we are like two peas in a pod. We share most of the same likes and dislikes, share the same politics, religion, and essentially see the world the same. We fit together, even though we are, on the other hand, so different! We are blessed with a good marriage, but we still bump heads over the same old issues that routinely pop up!

So who gave in and let the other win, you ask? It actually ended up being a compromise. We each gave a little, and it worked. But we learned something once again. Something we learn every time we disagree about this or that. That we complete each other. To appreciate the things that make that person who they are, and that includes the differences.

"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together they will keep warm, But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves." ~Ecclesiastes 4: 9-12a



(Me and my better half.)


Have a blessed night! :)
~Jenni

P.S. I somehow accidentally deleted my signature! Oops!

15 comments:

Tracey said...

What a lovely couple! Neither of you look old enough to have any children....let alone 3!!!!!
Tracey x x x

Anonymous said...

My husband and I are like oil and water but it works. Our personalities just fit together. I am hot headed and he is even tempered. He keeps me grounded. You guys are such a cute couple!

Odette Bautista Mikolai said...

You compliment each other and you look good together as well.

Shell in your Pocket said...

What a sweet post and you are truly blessed!
~Sandy toe

the undomesticated wife said...

My hubs and I are different in a lot of ways too. I think it works because we are like puzzle pieces...we fit together nicely. If we were the same shaped piece, we wouldn't fit!

You two are adorable!

Darlene said...

That is a great post. Love the pictures of both of you.♥

Robin Beck said...

Great post Jenni,
I've been married to my guy for 20 years... We find we are so different but so the same. We are two halves that make the whole we believe God intended us to be!
I feel so blessed that I actually love being around my husband and he is my best friend.
Yes, sometimes (very very rarely) we disagree but sometimes you have to agree to disagree. ~♥

You and your husband are so cute together!
Hope you are having a great week,
Robin~♥

Elyse said...

AWWW! this is such a sweet post. I am so happy that God has blessed you with a good husband and good marriage. I hope to be blessed with the same some day soon!

Have a wonderful day my friend!

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures you posted! You two are made for each other and are so blessed to have one another.

Unknown said...

Great post! My husband and myself are very different but who wants the same right! Ya'll are a cute couple.

trish said...

It is a common joke between my husband and me, that we are like night and day. How two such different people came together is an act of God ... smile. But we just celebrated 17 years of marriage and are each others best friend. :o)
I really need to get the Love Dare Book. I learned so much from the movie, the book would be something I could apply daily. :o)
Your pictures are precious! The two of you are a sweet couple.
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Rae said...

Wonderful post Jenni!! Compromise is so key to a lasting marriage!!! I agree with everyone...you two are a way cute couple!

Jeni said...

I loved reading this and had just been thinking a little along those lines too. Steve and I were friends for 5 1/2 years before finally getting married...I realized I needed him for his differences and loved him for the things we both find important in life. Life is fun.

You and your hubby look so cute together. I also agree with your first comment on here!!!

Ms. Tee said...

What a sweet post! And such a cute photo of the two of you. You both sound like my husband and me. :) Hope you have a wonderful week!
P.S. Thank you for your sweet comments!

DairyQueen said...

how cute! you and your hushand sound exactly like me and my husband!

I just found your blog...going to check out the rest. You sound adorable!

Oh, and that verse from Eccl. is my favorite verse about marriage!