Friday, August 1, 2008

Four wonderful lazy days

We just got back from our mini vacation to Leavenworth last afternoon, and now we are doing our little vacation at home...only I really AM supposed to be working on this house. I have done a little, but it took half of yesterday just to get back into the swing of things. I did, however, bake some chocolate chip cookies from a recipe given on One Woman's Cottage Life. They turned out wonderfully! If you want the recipe, I have the link to her blog site right on the left hand corner of this page. I am always on the lookout for a new chocolate chip recipe, because it's my favorite kind of cookie to bake...and eat!

Anyway...I thought I'd share some pictures of our trip over the mountains...
When we arrived at the Enzian Inn, we found this in our room. Martinelli's sparkling cider and two stemmed glasses, with a little note that said "Happy Anniversary". How sweet! :) We thought that was really thoughtful of them.



Every year when we arrive, it's like taking a breath of fresh air. We know we're in for a treat...time together, sleeping in, time for relaxing hobbies like reading (and sewing for me), and A LOT of good food. The breakfast at the Enzian is amazing...omelets, eggs, potatoes, a variety of fruit and pastries...the list goes on. I am not a big breakfast eater, but even I enjoy the fruit and a little something sweet! (And I love their oatmeal. I know, it's weird to choose oatmeal when you can have almost anything, but I REALLY like it!)
I have to say for me it's the most "vacation like" vacation we take. Imagine sleeping in...and getting only one person (that would be myself) ready for the day! It's a strange feeling, actually. But I enjoy a week of it every year, and then I'm ready to have our munchkins back again. I think it would take a lot to get used to the total quiet of this house if I knew it's how it always would be. My husband says he's ready to hear little footsteps running around the house again. I will be ready for tomorrow, but I'm determined to enjoy today's peacefulness because there will be plenty of running around the house again tomorrow! :)

I wanted to show you around the town of Leavenworth~ do you mind?



This is the hotel, taken from across the street, but I am afraid it doesn't really capture the beauty of it!


This is the miniature golf course that is free for all who stay at the Enzian (or $12 if you aren't staying there). It's always a lot of fun, although I must admit, I never take games very seriously, and this one is no different. I'm too busy enjoying the beauty around me and being with my sweetie~ besides I am TERRIBLE at games involving balls. For the life of me, I cannot get that little white ball into the hole! I eventually just "cheat" and pick it up and put it in. My husband is so used to this, he just laughs! But truly, once you whack that ball five or six times per hole, you're ready to avoid any further humiliation. It's always so much fun, though!



Now we'll just walk downtown, which is always overflowing with flowers! First stop is the Danish Bakery, where they have an amazing selection of all the pastries you can imagine, AND Seattle's Best Coffee...




It's become our tradition to buy these pastries every day for our dessert that night.


I thought I'd bring you with me inside my favorite "decorating" store here. Come on inside and I'll show you around!




These are such adorable kitchen containers.



More cute vintage looking canisters!



And of course you can't leave here without a couple of their sweet dishtowels and taper candles! (At least I can't!)



I love jadite, whether old or replicas. And since the price was right, I brought these sweet salt and pepper shakers home with me. There's just something about salt and pepper shakers!





Now here is The Taffy Shop, where they have almost every imaginable kind of saltwater taffy.



We even got to see the taffy being pulled, which looked kind of fun! (I'm sorry for the poor quality of the picture; I don't quite know what happened!)






More flowers...





Thanks so much for coming with me on our little tour of Leavenworth, Washington. If you are ever up this way, make sure to check it out! It's such a sweet little town! Next time, I'll show you what we found while walking through the neighborhoods here. We "discovered" it a few years back, and revisit it every year now!

2 comments:

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Could that be any more lovely?! (I'll answer...No. ;-) Thanks for taking us along on your trip. I feel more relaxed already!

Anonymous said...

Jenni what a fantastic place.. I'd love to step into the shop.

Beth
www.blossomcottage.typepad.com