Thursday, August 14, 2008

A dream come true!

Remember how in an earlier post, I showed you a 1940's cook stove I had looked at but passed up? Well, soon after writing that, I changed my mind and went to look at the ad on Craigs list again...but it was gone! I have been kicking myself ever since!

Then a week ago Sunday, I was checking on Craigs list as usual, when lo and behold, there it was! It was an exact replica of the one I'd missed out on, only I could tell this one was in better shape, at least on the outside...more on this in a bit. I finally went to see it on Monday, but walked away without it because the owner wouldn't accept my offer. (Which was actually already higher than I'd originally wanted to pay for a stove.) I told him to call if he changed his mind.

The more I thought about it that day, the more certain I was that I had done the right thing by not going above my offer. This particular stove would require some further investments and repair. I WAS really disappointed, though.

The next morning, however, the owner called back and said I could have it after all, for my original offer! I was so excited; it just made my day, let me tell you! So now I guess this is where I say in true Disney fashion, that "Dreams DO come true!" and then say that we all lived happily ever after! Well, maybe I won't go that far, but I am certain that this stove is going to be very happy here with us, because I am going to take very good care of it! As I mentioned, it needs some work. Both oven elements need to be replaced~ I know where I can order the spring coil elements it needs. These are much different than the ones that are in our modern stoves~ you actually slide out this "tray" of sorts, and on it the spring coil element is stretched out in a serpentine fashion. We will replace these first and hope that is all it takes for the oven to work, but if it doesn't, it may need a new thermostat. Thankfully, I now know where I can get one of those, too. One of the stove top burner elements needs to be replaced, because it is not the right brand. One other element needs to be rewired, and we have to further investigate why in the world the drop well is not working. My husband looked at the wiring in the back of the stove and said he thinks we should just rewire the whole thing, for safety's sake, and I actually agree.

Okay, I know what you're thinking...yes really, I can hear you all the way from here, saying,"Now WHY did she buy that stove?" I DO know it sounds a little crazy. I have done enough research to be fairly confident that we can fix this sweet stove, and I am very impressed by what good shape it is in. Only small amount of rust in the drawers (rust in them is very common) and it is pretty clean considering it's 60 years old or so. The porcelain and chrome are in such good condition as well, and from what I have heard, having a stove reporcelained and rechromed are very costly.

I guess it's a gamble, a definite risk~ but I have a strong feeling that it is going to be worth it. So do you want to see the stove? I took these pictures in a real hurry, so they aren't the best. I have only begun to clean it and the burners are not in their proper positions...there is my disclaimer!



We have it in our dining room right now, because even if it was working right, it wouldn't fit yet. We have to pull a set of cabinets off of the wall and move them down to make this stove fit! This stove is nine inches wider, and our current one fits snugly between two cabinets...



Anyway, I'll make sure to show and tell all the progress we make as we fix the stove, and I hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your stove! I'm thrilled that you finally got it! :)

About Southern Belle said...

Isn't it great when we really can live out our fairy tale? Glad you got the stove you were dreaming of. Okay, now its my turn, LoL. The Atlantic is calling...

Anonymous said...

oh wow Jenni thats some oven, it looks as you say in excellent condition for its age! I reckon it will cook wonderful food too.

Beth
www.blossomcottage.typepad.com

Shabbee Chick said...

Ca-yute!!!!

Meg said...

wow...what a beauty!! And such a great story, too. Enjoy!

cherry said...

That is one sweet stove! It looks sooo cute just sitten there...you lucky duck. I am glad you got it for your price...love sweet dealios like that. cherry

Just Between Us Girls said...

I love the old stove. We have one in the garage and I wish I had an old stove put in the house instead of the new model we have. So lovely and perfect to lend vintage charm to your kitchen. We are going to list a jadeite green and ivory white ice box soon that would be spectacular with your stove. Have a lovely day and thanks for the comments in my blog. You are very kind.
Sincerely,
Pat

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

*That* is fabulous! good things come to those who wait. ;-)

Anita said...

Is it possible to have stove envy? 'Cause I'm feeling a little of that right about now! Actually, I'm really excited for you to have your dream stove. It'll make cooking/baking so much more fun - just imagine pulling that fresh baked cake or pie out of it with your cute little apron on!