Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Crafting with black frames and ribbon

I was in the dollar section at Target (one of my favorite sections there, besides the cleaning aisle) and I found these little black magnet frames. (Sorry the picture is cut off on the corner.)



They were so cute, I just had to buy a few...even though I wasn't sure what I would do with them. I don't know about you, but I sometimes I just have to think about it for a while before I know what I'm going to do with something. I'll set them out on the table and look at them now and then as I am doing what has to be done around the house and taking care of my kids.

First I decided I wanted to make a word, by putting a letter in each frame. When I was at Michael's over a week ago, I found these transferables. Would you believe I'd never seen these before?



You use what looks like a popsicle stick to rub the letter onto your paper. It looks so cute when it's finished. Some of you could probably do this blindfolded, but I found it could be a bit tricky because if the paper shifts at all, it ruins the letter, which is a bummer! I did have to head back on over to Michael's so I could redo a few letters to my liking.



I think I'll use these more until I get so good at it, I actually BREATHE when I'm rubbing the letters on! :) I had to remind myself, that worse case scenario, I'd just have to run back to the craft store...

Well, add a lot of ribbon and this is what I came up with!



I wanted to make the word "family"~ I had to go back to Target to get another frame to make the word, and picked up an extra few while I was at it!




The frames had no hook for hanging them up, so since I was just doing this craft for myself, I slid the ribbon behind the backing of the frame, closing the back of the frame over it. That connected the frames to the main ribbon. Then all I had to do was tie little bows between each frame! Here's an up-close view of a couple of the letters...



It was so fun, I had to do another one...



I did this one the same, only with some different ribbon.



I am getting so excited about fall and Halloween coming up! I can't wait to haul all of our decorations out and put them all up! :)

Well, I hope you are all having a great week! It is already half-over and the weekend will be here before you know it! :) Have a great night!


7 comments:

Anita said...

Oh my goodness!!! That is the most darling idea I've seen in a LONG time! I absolutely love it and will have to copy you somehow. Love how you did it for Halloween. What fun! Ideas for words are already churning through my head. A trip to Target is definitely in order!

Answering your question about being ready for fall/rain. Fall-yes, rain-no. Although being from AZ originally, I'll take the rain over the tremendous heat most any day. By Jan/Feb is when it starts getting really old and I'm ready for some sunshine. But I do love the holiday feeling in the air that seems to start with October and goes right through to Valentine's Day! Of course, each season/holiday is another excuse to decorate or rearrange. heehee Happy Thursday to you!

Tausha said...

that is darling! Love it even more that the frames were a dollar! I love the rub-ons cause they are big! What a fun thing to add to your already darling house! Can't wait to see what the next prject you come up with is!

trish said...

Hi Jenni! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving a nice note. :o) I had to tell you, I LOVE this project!! I have a frame that is very small and no idea what to do with it. I want to do something similar, but obviously a much smaller scale. Just to use what I have first ... then I hope to do something like yours! Your colors are perfect as well. And how clever to run the ribbon behind. I look so forward to reading through your blog and getting to know you better. Also I have to say, I love reading Phillip Yancey! One of my very favorites! Have you read The Bible Jesus Read?
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

cherry said...

Rofl.....I have those same martha rubons. They are a scrapbookers bestfriend...I use them all the time..because I HATE my handwriting on my layouts. I used those same ones on my monogram flower pots that my pears are in. I love your project...and may be having to copy you...yep. cherry

Jeni said...

Really cute idea. Love how you did the Boo too.

Our Complete Family said...

This is so neat! Just adorable and fun all rolled into one project! ~ Les

trish said...

Hi!
It's me again! I just noticed that I have Prayer by Phil Yancey on my bookshelf! I must have bought it and forgot. I never do that! :o) Have you started reading it? You mentioned your husband reading it first. :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne