Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A fall wreath...and fun with feathers!


I don't know if it's the cooler weather the last couple of days, or simply the need for a little peace and quiet around here, but my thoughts have been turning toward fall! I have always loved this season, with it's brisk cool air and autumn colors all around. And really, it is almost here! The summer has been a good one, but I can feel the need for a change. I am so thankful for the seasons, because they give us a new beginning, something to look forward to.

Last week, my little girls and I went to the craft store ("the boys" were on a one-night camping trip) and I got a kick out of my youngest saying," What? It's not Christmas yet" when she saw all the decorations in there. It was true, everywhere we looked, it was either fall or Christmas. I think it was about a month ago that I saw the autumn decor, and thought, "No way, I'm not ready!" Part of this is a knee-jerk reaction to the knowledge that around these parts, once fall arrives, you pretty much resign yourself to six months of gray clouds and rain! Hence, the reluctance to relinquish the summer...

But that was before I saw the grapevine wreath, just two dollars at Michael's Crafts, and this beautiful wide green ribbon, a mere 75 cents. Add a fall berries garland to weave through the wreath, and some sprigs of fall berries, some cute little apples...




...and suddenly, it was okay that summer was almost over. So okay in fact, that I tucked the metal "Blessed" sign in there, too. And some feathers! But the white ones I had on hand looked a little too "wintry" for me, so I picked up a bag of some tonight for I think it was 1.75. There are creme, brown and orange in this variety pack, and I just used creme and brown for now! I think I am becoming addicted to feathers! I keep thinking of new ways to use them here and there, they are just so fun to use!



The picture below is the one I took after I put the new feathers inside the wreath, and I am much happier with it now.



Although now that I am looking at these pictures, I am seeing something I didn't notice before. That apple off to the left there is looking a bit odd over there all by its lonesome. Tomorrow I think I'll have to find a new spot for it. That's okay, though, because it's not glued in or anything. I think this will be an all-year wreath, so I tried not to use too much hot glue! This way I can just swap out and put in as the months go by~ black and orange for Halloween, a harvest theme for the rest of fall, white and green for Christmas, etc. So what do you think of the wreath? I was a little afraid it looked too Christmas like, with the green and all, but think some orange tucked in will help with that.

Thanks for letting me ramble on so, and I hope you have a great night!

4 comments:

cherry said...

Love it and wayyyyy cool idea to add the blessed to it. Perfect! All you gals are getting me ready for Fall. cherry

Anonymous said...

Way cute! Great job!

Our Complete Family said...

Jenni (I'm sorry, I think I've spelled your name wrong on my other visits~ oops!). I forgot to leave you a comment on this wreath. Very, very, very cute and fun for fall! I hope you like the chicken recipe! It is so fun to get other recipes from folks, isn't it? I do love blogland!!! Happy almost Monday. Are you ready for the week? I'M NOT!!! ~ Les

About Southern Belle said...

Just thought I would let you know I spent hours trying to make a door wreath like yours...thing is I didn't think to look at your blog until after I made it. I just tried to remember what it looked like from memory, hahaha. = )