Monday, August 17, 2009
More kitchen progress pictures
I really hope I'm not boring you all with all this kitchen stuff! I have some more progress pictures, but first, I wanted to say a great big thank you to everyone for your sweet comments regarding my rather pitiful "Down" post! It actually ended up being a really nice two days, even though my husband was at work and the kids were still away! It was quiet, but I got a lot done...And now they are home, and it feels "right" again! :) So all's well that ends well, you know?!
Now about the kitchen, I also wanted to say thanks for your advice on the whole beaded board versus wide paneling issue...I really appreciate you taking to time to comment on this! It helped a lot! :) I think~ although this is always subject to change!~ that we are going to go for the wide paneling! :)
I don't know how most people redo a room, but for us, this kitchen/dining room makeover technically started before last summer...we have done things in these rooms every year, as we had the time and money. This year though, we get to finish most of it up! Here is some of what we have been working on...
Two years ago, my (really kind-hearted) dad helped me tackle a most unpleasant project and we took off all the "popcorn" from the kitchen and dining room ceilings. We then repaired the ceiling and retextured. It made an ENORMOUS difference! (This process gave me the courage to do the living room and hallways by myself last fall.)
My husband finished "mudding" the skylight he had framed in the previous fall, and we textured it at the same time we did the ceilings...It all looked so much better. Last spring we replaced the outdated ceiling light fixture with this chandelier, which is very special to me because it came from a dear friend as a birthday surprise! :)
Now our kitchen also bestowed this monstrous ceiling fixture upon us...
It took up practically the entire kitchen, spreading its terrible florescent light throughout the kitchen...not good! So one afternoon late last summer, when I had had enough of it, I got to work...
The wood frame was nailed into the drywall, and had to be pried off.
So when my husband came home from work, it looked like this:
David disconnected the florescent lights and pulled them down...
He put up 2x4s to make a frame for the drywall...
And rewired for recessed lighting, then we put up the drywall.
This is how it looks now, and it is almost ready to be textured and primed/painted. (There is a little story behind the wired "hole" for a light right in the center of the drywall we added; I will have to share that a different day...)
David put in these recessed lights, which give a nice warm light. I am so much more happier with them than what was there before! I can't wait until I look up at the ceiling at don't see joint compound patches, though! :)
I will try to blog on something fun and pretty before doing another post like this, so you don't get too bored! This kitchen has been taking a lot of my time, so I haven't been crafting as much as I like, although I did get to do some while on vacation! :) I will have to show you those things soon! :) I hope you all had a fantastic weekend, and that your week is off to a great start! :)