Sunday, December 13, 2009

Celebrating Advent...



This third candle we light this Sunday is the Shepherd's candle.




"And there were some shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.'

~Luke 2: 8-12


Can you even imagine? You're just doing your job, it's just another day~ I mean night~ and all of sudden, out of nowhere, there is an angel from God telling YOU that the Messiah has come and where to find him! I would have been terrified too if I'd been them, but amazed that out of every one in the world He could have chosen, God had blessed me with such a gift~ to be one of the first of those to meet Jesus! I love this story of the Shepherd's because it reminds me that God doesn't care what we do for a living, how much money we have in the bank, or if we are "someone" in the eyes of this world...He desires a relationship with each of us. We are valuable to Him. Valuable enough for Him to take on flesh and identify with us and share in our humanity. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around this, it's so wonderful!


Come Thou long-expected Jesus,
Born to set Thy people free;
From our fears and sins release us;
Let us find ou
r rest in Thee.

Israel's Strength and Consolation,
Hope of all the earth Thou art;
Dear Desire of every nation,
Joy of every longing heart.

Born Thy people to deliver,
Born a child and yet a King,
Born to reign in us forever,
Now Thy gracious Kingdom bring.

By Thine own eternal Spirit
Rule in all our hearts alone;
By Thine all sufficient merit
Raise us to Thy glorious throne.
Amen.



I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and that this post finds you doing well! :)

BLESSING
S,










4 comments:

About Southern Belle said...

Amen! Say it again Jenni, say it again. What a touching post... I loved the poem as well as the words straight from your heart. May the Lord be glorified.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Hi Jenni!

Beautiful poem!

How are you? I LOVE that Thanksgiving frame project you did on your mantle. So darling. I love your style!

Hey, would you be willing to link up your cinnamon roll recipe for the homemade gift idea party? I think they would make great neighbor gifts!

Thanks! Hope you are having a good December too!

XOXO
Jen

Amy S. said...

I think it's such a wonderful tradition to do with your family! How are your Christmas preparations going? Are you all done shopping? We need to get together soon!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! This is such an awesome tradition that you are doing!